Project Report due date: 27 April 2015.
27 April week presentations begin.
Poster Template (PDF)
The poster should be in A2 size.
Schedule for presentations.
|FIRST WEEK (week of 27 April )|
|SECOND WEEK (week of 4 May)|
1 Fine-tuning for the next semester
Based on the feedback from the instructors and our experience from the first semester, I propose to have 3 experiments (45 % contribution) and 1 final project (55% contribution). The aim of the 3 experiments is to cover broad topic in the course and provide basic laboratory education.
1.1 Experiments for Phys 101 and 107
Experiment 1 – Velocity and Acceleration (%15)
Experiment 2 – Angular Velocity and Acceleration (%15)
Experiment 3 – The Torsional Oscillator (%15)
1.2 Experiments for Phys 102 and 108
Experiment 1 – Equipotential and Radial Electric Field Lines (%15)
Experiment 2 – Resistance and Capacitance of Circuits (%15)
Experiment 3 – RL Circuits and RLC Oscillations (%15)
Project proposal (%15)
Final report (%30)
Poster presentation (%10)
1.4 Timeline of the laboratory
|Week 1||2 Feb.||No lab|
|Week 2||9 Feb.||Experiment 1|
|Week 3||16 Feb.||Experiment 1|
|Week 4||23 Feb.||Experiment 2|
|Week 5||2 Mar.||Experiment 2|
|Week 6||9 Mar.||Experiment 3|
|Week 7||16 Mar.||Experiment 3|
|Week 8||30 Mar.||First proposal|
|Week 9||6 Apr.||Receive Feedback for the proposal|
|Week 10||13 Apr.||Project|
|Week 11||20 Apr.||Project|
|Week 12||27 Apr.||Project|
|Week 13||27 Apr.||Presentations|
|Week 14||4 May||Presentations|
2 Project topics
2.1 Project topics for Phys 101
- Measure equation of motion of an object
- Demonstrate measurement of length in different length scale (mm, m, km )
- Measure precision of your clock
- Measure gravitational acceleration
- Demonstrate work-energy theorem
- Measure static and dynamic coefficient of friction
- Measure centripetal acceleration
- Measure moment of inertia of an object
- Demonstrate parallel axis theorem
- Demonstrate uniform and non-uniform circular motion
- Demonstrate conservation of linear momentum
- Demonstrate conservation of angular momentum
- Use your smart phone to demonstrate a physical phenomenon you learn in the class
2.2 Project topics for Phys 102
- Devise a method to measure the total charge on a small electrically conducting sphere.
- Construct a circuit to be used to time 1 second, using R,L and C.
- Build a rail gun or a DC electric motor or any other experiment to demonstrate the forces on a current carrying wire due to magnetic field.
- Demonstrate lens law
- Demonstrate Faradays law of induction
- Built an oscillatory circuit
- Measure Earth magnetic field
- Demonstrate basic principles of electromagnetic waves
- Measure distance dependence of electromagnetic forces between two magnets.
- Built a electromagnet
- Characterize ferromagnetic materials
- Study the physics behind the electric guitar
Information for Freshman Physics Laboratory