Instructor: Dilek Guvenc
Room: SA-105(Faculty of Science
E-mail : email@example.com
Office Hours: Tuesday 12:40-13:30 , Wednesday 10:40-11:30 and Friday 14:40-15:30
Section 01 Wednesday 9:40 - 10:30 Room # SB-Z03
Friday 10:40 -12:30 Room # SB-Z03
Statistics Principles and Methods 5-th Ed. Richard A. Johnson & Gouri K. Bhattacharyya, Wiley
Exams & Grading :
1st Midterm (25%)
Date: March 7, 2018 ( Wednesday )
2nd Midterm (25%)
Date: April 11, 2018 (Wednesday )
Final Exam (34%) Will be scheduled...
Attendance : Attendance will be taken regularly.
Homeworks ( 10% ) 5 homeworks . Homeworks will be emailed on Tuesday of homework weeks (See syllabus below), they will be collected in Wednesday class and solutions of the homework questions will be emailed to the students.
Quizzess ( 6% ) 3 quizzes.
· Student will be qualified to take the final exam if his/her total is at least 20 over 66, by the last day of the classes.
· Students who do not have least total score of 20 over 66 will be given an FZ grade.
· Students who have missed a midterm exam and have valid, well-documented excuse can take a makeup of it. A single makeup exam will be given few days after the second midterm exam.
· Reserved 4-th hour will be used in some weeks, this will be announced in the class.
§ Usage of a statistical software such as MINITAB is encouraged.
· This course is not a regular math course! It involves qualitative thinking and more words than other mathematics courses.
1. Jan. 29 Organization and Description of Data
2. Feb. 5 Counting Rules. Probability
3. Feb. 12 Conditional Probability and Independence (Hw1)
4. Feb. 19 Random variables (Quiz 1)
5. Feb. 26 Continuous Random Variables. The Normal Distribution. The Normal Approximation to the Binomial ( Hw 2)
6. March 5 Review, Applications & the First Midterm
(Wednesday, March7, 2018 @ 18:30)
7. March 12 Sampling Distributions. The Central Limit Theorem.
8. March 19 Point and Interval Estimation of a Population Mean (Hw 3)
9. March 26 Testing hypotheses about a population mean. Inferences about a Population Proportion (Quiz 2)
10. April 2 Small-Sample Inferences for Normal Populations. Student's t Distribution (Hw 4)
11. April 9 Review, Applications and the Second Midterm.
(Wednesday, April 11, 2018 @ 18:30)
12. April 16 Inferences about the Standard Deviation (The Chi-squared distribution).
13. April 24 Comparing Two Treatments - Independent Random Matched Pair Comparisons. (Hw 5)
14. May 2 Linear Regression. The Method of Least Squares. (Quiz 3)
15. May 7 Analysis of Categorical Data.