MATH345's home page
MATH 345 - DIFFERENTIAL GEOMETRY I
Math345 : Differential Geometry I. A third year course.
Text book :
Elementary Differential Geometry, by Barret O' Neil. Academic Press,1997.
Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces, by
Manfredo P. do Carmo. Prentice-Hall, New Jersey , 1976.
In this period the first five
chapters of " O'Neil " will be covered. See the
"Course Syllabus" below
Tuesday 13.40-15.30 , SAZ-19
Fiday 10.40-12.30 , SAZ-19
(%20) First Midterm Exam: November 8 (During the Lecture hours)
(%20) Second Midterm Exam: December 20 (During the Lecture hours)
(%40) Final Exam :
see homework assigments
homework assigment Set 1
Dot products and curves
Space curves and covariant derivative
1. Sept.23 (Sections 1.2,1.3) Euclidean Space, Tangent vectors, Directional
2. Sept.30 (Sections 188.8.131.52) Curves in space, 1-forms, differential Forms,
3. Oct.07 (Sections 2.1- 2.3) Dot product, curves , The Serret Frenet Formulas
4. Oct.14 (Sections 2.4-2.6 Covariant derivative, frame fields, connection
5. Oct.21 (Sections 2.7,2.9) Regular Surfaces, Change of Parameters
6. Oct.28 (Sections 3.1-3.3) Isometries , the Tangent map,
7. Nov.4 (Sections 3.5-3.7) Euclidean Geometry, Congruence of curves.
8. Nov.11 (Sections 4.1-4.4 Surfaces in R^3 , Differentiable functions
and Tangent vectors, Differential forms on surfaces. (M.Ex.2)
9. Nov.08 (Sections 4.5-4.6) Mapping of surfaces, integration of forms.
10. Nov.15 (Sections 4.7-4.8) Topological properties of surfaces, Manifolds.
11. Nov.22. (Sections 5.1-5.3) Shape operator, Normal curvature, Gaussian
12. Nov.29 (Sections 5.4-5.5) Computational Techniques, the implicit example
13. Dec.06 (Sections 5.6-5.7) Special curves and surfaces, surfaces
14. Dec.13 Integrable Surfaces
15. Dec.20 Integrable surfaces
-------------- o -------------
Last update September 2002
End of MATH345's Home Page