Detection of infrared light has many applications in medical, astronomical and security applications.
Many approaches have been tried and successfully implemented. Semiconductors such as InSb, InAs, HgCdTe, InGaAs have been studied. Most IR detectors have to be cooled increasing cost. In collaboration with Anadolu and Middle East Technical Universities, in this work, we are interested in design, fabrication and testing of high efficiency IR superlattice photodetectors using ultrathin layer pairs of GaSb/InAs. Lowering dark current is critical in the operation of such detectors.
Recent achievements are the development of:
1. Novel passivation techniques including atomic layer deposition of Al2O3, HfO2, ZnO, TiO2.
2. Innovative ultrathin passivation layers with thiol based carbon chains with sulphur heads.
3. New “N” structure pin superlattice photodetectors in the MWIR with AlSb barriers.
- O. Salihoglu, A. Muti, K. Kutluer, T. Tansel, R. Turan, A. Aydinli, “Skin-like self-assembled monolayers on InAs/GaSb superlattice photodetectors”, Journal of Physics D-Applied Physics, 45(36), 365102 (2012) [PDF]
- O. Salihoglu, A. Muti, K. Kutluer, T. Tansel, R. Turan, Y. Ergun, A. Aydinli, “”N” structure for type-II superlattice photodetectors”, Applied Physics Letters, 101 (7), 073505 (2012) [PDF]
- T. Tansel, K. Kutluer, O. Salihoglu, A. Aydinli, B. Aslan, B. Arikan, MC. Kilinc, Y. Ergun, U. Serincan, R. Turan, “Effect of the Passivation Layer on the Noise Characteristics of Mid-Wave-Infrared InAs/GaSb Superlattice Photodiodes”,IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 24(9), pp. 790-792 (2012) [PDF]
- O. Salihoglu, A. Muti, K. Kutluer, T. Tansel, R. Turan, C. Kocabas, A. Aydinli, “Atomic layer deposited Al2O3 passivation of type II InAs/GaSb superlattice photodetectors”, Journal of Applied Physics, 111(7), 074509 (2012) [PDF]
- O. Salihoglu, M. Hostut, T. Tansel, K. Kutluer, A. Kilic, M. Alyoruk, C. Sevik, R. Turan, Y. Ergun, A. Aydinli, “Optical Properties of 4.2 µm“N” Structured Superlattice MWIR Photodetectors”, Infrared Phys. and Technol. to be published (2012).
- O. Salihoglu, A. Muti, K. Kutluer, T. Tansel, R. Turan, C. Kocabas, A. Aydınlı, “Passivation of type II InAs/GaSb superlattice photodetectors with atomic layer deposited Al2O3. Proc. SPIE Vol. 83532 83530Z-1 (2012).SPIE Defense, Security and Sensing, April 2012, Baltimore USA.
- Omer Salihoglu, Abdullah Muti, Atilla Aydinli, “A Comparative Dark Current Study for InAs/GaSb pin Superlattice Photodetectors”, submitted to IEEE Electron Device Letters (2012).